[Cuis-dev] White VM window

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue Aug 16 06:10:13 PDT 2022

On 8/16/2022 5:59 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> It helps indeed ;-)
>
> Regarding work-in-progress with DrGeo I can now build the linux bundle.

It is very nice to know you're getting closer!

> Nevertheless, as expected the built DrGeo image is faulty (wrong path
> to resources, broken start up sequences, etc) and when I start the
> DrGeo app I have again a white VM window with an hourglass and no clue
> about what is wrong. I may have an infinite loop somewhere in my code,
> I need to track.
>
> Starting the VM with -tracestores gives me few clues, I will dig in:
>
> /VM/squeak -tracestores  Resources/image/drgeo
> SmallFloat64>+
> SmallFloat64>+
> SmallFloat64>+
> Delay class(Behavior)>startUp:
> DisplayScreen class(Behavior)>startUp:
> Cursor class(Behavior)>startUp:
> InputSensor class(Behavior)>startUp:
> ProcessorScheduler class(Behavior)>startUp:
> WeakArray class(Behavior)>startUp:
> Locale class>startUp:
> NaturalLanguageTranslator class>startUp:
>
> Feedback at the image level will be even more useful.
>
> Hilaire

Of course the problem is that during startup we can't use the regular
Smalltalk tools. But in the Cuis startup sequence you can insert stuff like:

Transcript
     showOnDisplay: false;
     logToFile: true;
     logToStdout: true.
'I reached startup milestone XXX' print.
thisContext printStack: 10.

Maybe you can come up with a set of generally useful error messages in
stdout during the startup sequence. I'd be happy to integrate them.

I can do it myself. But to be able to do it, I need the same I always
ask: I need enough detail from you so I can repeat your procedure
exactly as you do it, so I can produce exactly the same problem. Then, I
can understand the problem and work on a solution.