[Cuis-dev] Using OSProcess package

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Dec 8 16:25:18 PST 2022

On 12/7/2022 4:33 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 12/7/2022 7:54 AM, Jan Vraný via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how does one use OSProcess package in Cuis? I have loaded it but it
>> does not seem to work - all I get for
>>
>>      OSProcess command:'ls -al'
>>
>> is this in console:
>>           bad env or bad args: Bad file descriptor
>>
>> In Squeak, it does work.
>>
>> Besides, how is one supposed to wait for the command to finish
>> (provided it starts in the first place)?
>>
>> Thanks! Jan
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> It seems OSProcess has been affected by the recent switch to
> UnicodeString.
>
> I think something in the lines of the attach is needed. I don't know
> OSProcess in detail, and I wrote this pretty blindly. Command ls still
> doesn't work, but it answers 'No such file of directory' that is
> presumably better.
>
> Dave, can you take a look?
>
> Thanks,

I just tried the latest OSProcess on an older Cuis image, #4738, from
August 2021. This was before UnicodeString became the default String
class. At that time, it was the old String from Squeak. OSProcess works
OK there. I'm pretty sure the problem are the instances of
UnicodeString, that should be converted to, maybe, bytearrays that end
with a zero byte.

Dave, can you take a look?