[Cuis-dev] Diacritical marks in Smalltalk code

Boris Shingarov shingarov at labware.com
Tue Dec 20 04:42:55 PST 2022

What is the preferred way to debug what happens when a keyboard key is
pressed?  I am observing some strange non-orthogonality in the latest
Cuis: some Greek letters appear to be "more equal" than others.

Let me explain.

I use Unicode for mathematical notation heavily in various systems which
all differ how this Unicode is keyed in.  They all revolve around the
same idea of LaTeX-like conventions, but from LiquidHaskell to
ProofGeneral to Coqtail to whatever-I-tried-in-Smalltalk there is enough
difference in the details to ruin the muscle-memory experience.  So I
gave up on all application-specific schemes and have set up an xkbd
layout which, while again being similar to all of the above, behaves
consistently because it's an OS-level "input method".  (It's an
".XCompose" script for X11).

So for Greek letters it just sends Unicode Greek to Cuis.  This works
well with *almost* all Greek letters, but *some*, such as θ, seem to
somehow not result in any input.  I remember Juan was showing me some
magic where some codepoints were translated into a "special Cuis
codepage", is this something that still happens? the transition to full
Unicode would remove all that complexity, right?  what's the best way to
step through what happens to a key event in the Debugger in Cuis?