[Cuis-dev] Browse class subcategories

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Sat Jan 8 02:44:55 PST 2022

Hi Luciano,

Cool it is working nicely!

Here some feedbacks on the usability and user perception to mature concept.

IMHO, you don't want to slice each subcategory. But then, there are
several scenarii to slice.

*First scenario.* You slice starting at the deeper category, (sliced at
the most right)

 1. In my image I have a package Color-Extras. It is sliced but it is
    not useful. So you want to slice only if there are at least two
    subcategories in the same parent category. Otherwise it just add
    noise to the GUI.
 2. You may have a maximum of one slice per category.

    For Example Morphic-Kernel, Morphic-Events, will all be sliced as
    *Morphic*>Kernel, *Morphic*>Events.

    But DrGeo-App, DrGeo-Core-Builders, DrGeo-Core-Commands,
    DrGeo-Core-Factories, DrGeo-Item-Models, DrGeo-Item-Views will
    rendered in the hierarchy as *DrGeo-App* (not sliced as only one
    sub), *DrGeo-Core*>Builders, *DrGeo-Core*>Commands,
    *DrGeo-Core*>Factories, *DrGeo-Items*>Models, *DrGeo-Items*>Views

    So, the left pane of the browser will looks like below when all
    subcategories folded:
    *> Morphic*
    *   DrGeo**-App*
    *> DrGeo-Core*
    *> DrGeo-Item

    *and it unfolds as:
    *v Morphic*
           Kernel
           Events
    *DrGeo-App*
    *v DrGeo-Core*
           Builders
           Commands
           Factories
    *v DrGeo-Item*
            Models

*Second scenario.* You slice at the first category. The direct result,
will be a much smaller list in the category pane of the Browser. It will
give a better thematic view of what inside the image, without the noise
of the subcategories. But when you want to go deep, it requires a few
more click to unfold the contents.

With the previous example, the folded categories will render as:

    *> Morphic*
    *> DrGeo*

And when unfolded:

    *v Morphic*
           Kernel
            Events
    *v DrGeo*
            App
            Core-Builders
            Core-Commands
            Core-Factories
            Item-Models
            Item-Views

Of course, in this second scenario, you still don't need to slice an
isolated package Color-Extras

*Conclusion.*

May be the latter, for beginners, will be easier to get the grant vision
of the Cuis system. Also it is closer to the idea of namespace, matching
cognitively our representation of the image contents. The main drawback
of this scenario is that for one given top category, you don't reduce
the number of subcategories. Observe, when you unfold DrGeo, the number
of subcategories is the same as originally; under this perspective the
former scenario is a more pragmatic option.

Other may have additional opinions.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo