[Cuis-dev] Improved version of #terminate

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Mon Jan 24 09:15:11 PST 2022

On 1/18/2022 4:07 PM, Jaromir Matas via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Juan, all,
>
> I'm enclosing a new version of #terminate; I thought you might be
> interested to take a look and indeed, I'd be very much interested in
> your opinion. The termination functionality and semantics remains
> intact but the code is simplified and addresses Eliot's concerns
> regarding active process termination being done via another process.
> The enclosed code executes both active and suspended process’s
> termination directly by the process being terminated thus maintaining
> the invariant that the unwind blocks are executed by the same process
> that created them (this is the only real disadvantage of the current
> terminate; it’s not process faithful). The technique used is to create
> a parallel stack for the process being terminated and run the unwinds
> conveniently from there :) (thorough comments included).
>
> I'm also enclosing some updated tests to reflect the new approach to
> the active process termination. If you were interested, I'd be happy
> to also provide updated examples and add some more tests later.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jaromir

Hello Jaromir, Folks,

I took a look at the code, and it looks correct to me, although I don't
understand this well enough to be sure. All the tests you wrote last
year pass, and that is great.

I think we'd integrate this. Still, I think it could be good to keep the
current #terminate as a separate method, maybe
#terminateFromForkedProcess, just in case it proves useful in the future.

I'd be very thankful if others could take a look, and better yet, try it
and see if it brings any trouble.

Thanks!

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich