[Cuis-dev] Slow keyboard input

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Fri Jan 28 06:55:02 PST 2022

On 1/28/2022 8:39 AM, Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev wrote:
> This is very weird, I’m having lots of problems. I tried the new VM
> with the old image and seems to work fine. Perhaps the VectorEngine
> plugin is outdated? Now with just a few windows open (3 browsers, one
> workspace, one message set) everything becomes super slow and it takes
> over one second to react to clicks. Also, when I left-click a method
> in the method list of a browser sometimes it selects the method and
> sometimes it opens the menu (as if I had right-clicked)… super weird,
> any clue?
>
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 at 4:29 PM Luciano Notarfrancesco
> <luchiano at gmail.com <mailto:luchiano at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Yes, that’s the one I’m using with the “fast” image. But it doesnt
>     work with the new image because it doesn’t have the VectorGraphics
>     plugin.
>
>     On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 at 4:05 PM Nicola Mingotti
>     <nmingotti at gmail.com <mailto:nmingotti at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         hi Luciano,
>
>         I didn't notice it, it may be just the vm.
>
>         some months ago we agreed to run on this VM by default:
>
>         |wget -O cogspur.tgzhttps://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/download/202003021730/squeak.cog.spur_linux64x64_202003021730.tar.gz|
>

>         See, here
>         https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/blob/master/Documentation/GettingStarted.md
>
>         bye
>
>         Nicola
>

>         On 1/28/22 09:56, Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>         The newest Cuis image feels much slower compared with my 1
>>         year old image. Typing a single character in an empty
>>         workspace there’s a noticeable lag (like 200 ms, maybe). This
>>         is in a new and fast laptop. Anyone experienced anything like
>>         this? I don’t think the problem is VectorGraphics, because
>>         typing a single character shouldn’t take any noticeable time
>>         even without the plugin, and I think the glyph is cached
>>         anyway right? Maybe the problem is the VM? I’m using
>>         https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/download/202112201228/squeak.cog.spur_linux64x64.tar.gz

Hi Luciano,

This may be due to using VectorCanvas for all drawing. Try evaluating
`MorphicCanvas activeSubclass: HybridCanvas.` to use BitBlt for
unzoomed/unrotated windows, with full VG capabilities, or `MorphicCanvas
activeSubclass: BitBltCanvas.` to completely disable VG (while keeping
TTF working).

Please tell how it goes.

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich