[Cuis-dev] Again problems with Package Downloader: Cuis hangs

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Wed Jun 1 02:34:59 PDT 2022

On 5/31/2022 11:32 PM, tuxic via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OS:      GENTOO Linux, last updated this morning
> Distro:  Cuis (not Cuis-University) - a fresh install
> Symptom: In the process of installing Morphic-Widgets-Extra, the
>           Package Downloader hangs again.
>
> Since with my previous install the Package Downloader triggers
> the Debugger only I did a fresh install of Cuis according to the
> instructions.
>
> After that I Installed New Updates and started the Package Downloader
> (which installs itself).
>
> I selected "Morphic-Widgets-Extra" and started the installation.
> The process starts, some package were installed and then the whole
> thing hangs.
>
> kill -9<PID of process of squeak>
>
> was the only way out.
>
> How can I handle Cuis in a more stable way?
>
> Cheers!
> Meino

Hi Meino,

As you can see in a separate thread with subject "Package Installer &
Package Downloader", these tools are young and still in development.

If you are learning about Cuis, please focus on the base Cuis image, and
the "Learning about Cuis Smalltalk" section in the main README.md. Also
check the Documentation folder. When you are comfortable with navigating
a Smalltalk system, and have a good grasp of the stuff that is included
in the base image + TrueType + VectorGraphics, you will be ready to
explore additional packages. Most likely you won't need Package
Downloader or Package Installer, although you can use them if you want.
The important part is that, if trouble arises, it will be easier for you
to understand what's going on.

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich