[Cuis-dev] [Preference] Category as domain name

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Fri Jun 10 13:15:25 PDT 2022

Hi Luciano, Juan,

Was busy elsewhere.

Le 04/06/2022 à 14:10, Luciano Notarfrancesco a écrit :
> Interesting. I will think more about this before giving an opinion
> about your proposal. But in the meantime I wonder, what if every
> package had a dictionary of preferences? Would that work with the way
> you arranged your code in your packages? I think this could also
> address some of Gerald’s concerns regarding modularity.

What I proposed imply one or more dictionaries per application. We can
make it explicit. Note however, as Juan emphasized, it will not solve
the problem of purging the system from zombies preferences.

> Your proposal makes me remember the Windows Registry: A central
> repository of preferences/options/configurations for all apps in the
> system. It also has a hierarchical structure to support multiple
> users. Some of the problems of this approach (in particular in
> Windows) are:
I try to solve the preference problem for DrGeo needs with what we have
right now.

> I think it would be much better, as Luciano also suggests, to use the
> central Preference registry only for the base image, and have a good
> way to let packages have their own.
I will emphasis how the Pharo implementation based on Pragma solves
elegantly the problem:

The methods (decorated with the ad-hoc pragma) defining the preferences
are removed when the application package is unload, so do the
application preferences. There is nothing to clean up. What I like less,
it is a bit complex.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo