[Cuis-dev] How to filein a fileout from Pharo?

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Mar 20 16:57:29 PDT 2022

On 2022-03-20 15:05, Aik-Siong Koh via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I fileout from Pharo five very small classes that I wrote.
> I tried to filein from Cuis without success.
> Please advise.

Pharo has an odd source format named 'Tonel'.

"Tonel" is a file-per-class format for monticello repositories, which we
don't use.

Basically, no one else uses this but the Pharo folks.

If interested, you can read about why on thread:
   http://forum.world.st/Squeak-and-Tonel-td5095284.html#a5095292

I wish they would change the file suffix, as ".st" was already taken,
but they chose not to do this.

There are a number of problems with interoperability between Smalltalk
dialects and different Tonel implementations.

I do not know of a Tonel port to Cuis.  Anyone?

For a few classes, it is probably easiest just to open a File List
browser, paste each method into a code Browser and accept it.

For a larger project, one would probably write a parser for the Tonel
file format.

Note that the base image of Cuis has under 600 classes.  The Pharo base
image has over 10,000 classes.   I really don't want to go there.

FYI,
-KenD