[Cuis-dev] FlatFileList

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Mon May 9 07:07:35 PDT 2022

Cool, it looks very nice and clean!
Is this intended to be included in the base image? To replace FileList? Or
can be a package? Or should the current FileList become a package instead?

I’ve been wondering for a while now how to deal with a growing image. Maybe
it’s not a concern for most people, but IMHO everything that doesn’t
absolutely need to be included in the base image should be a package, and I
include in that category many of the tooling that is currently in the
image. But a contribution that is not included in the base image might feel
under appreciated. I’ve been thinking that might be good to have a list of
packages that are automatically loaded on image startup after asking the
user, like Squeak does. Or have a “standard distribution” image that comes
with some core packages installed. So some very useful packages could be
put among those core packages that form the standard distribution. And
maybe we could move out of the image some of the tools like SUnit,
ObjectExplorer, etc. Also in this way we would enforce modularity and end
up with a base image that changes less often, and also having simpler tools
in the base image would make it easier for people to make their own tools
as they wish (and this is a typical thing Smalltalkers like to do, I think,
as Stephen did with the 6 paned browser). It’s just an idea, it’s not my
place to make this kind of choices but I thought I’d share my thoughts.
Does anyone else wish to have a smaller and simpler base image? If so, what
are your ideas as for how to implement it?