[Cuis-dev] high-speed rich text

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Tue May 17 05:29:34 PDT 2022

El 17/5/22 a las 01:31, Shaping via Cuis-dev escribió:

> You don’t need to setup your own server for that, I was just
> suggesting to use an image hosting service… there are many, for
> example imgbb.com <http://imgbb.com>.
>
> The response is the same:  why would I do that?  How is any addition
> setup faster than just inserting the image into the e-mail?
>
> Ever used Discord?

I think one of the problems is that Discord and a mailing list encourage
different types of communication. So, it is not clear that using
something as Discord is gonna be a clear win. For example, look at this
page where they complain about it:
https://kotaku.com/please-stop-closing-forums-and-moving-people-to-discord-1847684851

Being that true or not, my point is that it has to be a change that
needs to be considered carefully.

That being said, sometimes I wish I could just make a question without
having to create a new "conversation thread" (new email, subject,etc),
but previous attempts of using IRC for example have not caught on,
because the community is too small.

Cheers,

Mariano

PD: I quote from link above:

"Discord is great for talking in the moment. It’s a place for real-time
conversations (or at lease those a few hours old if they’re not as
busy), a fancy way to manage multiple chat rooms and voice comms, and if
that’s what you want—and millions of people around the world do, for
loads of needs and wants—then great!

Forums aren’t the same though. They’re nothing like it. Forums are more
deliberate, more considered, and while they’re far from perfect—I’m sure
you can post a billion examples of people being neither deliberate nor
considered on forums—the point is that they’re more permanent.

Forums create a record, an archive we can search through, so that
whenever we want to revisit issues, or find help with a problem, or see
what was happening during a certain time, we can do that. There’s a
paper trail, and while sometimes that leads to embarrassing takes on tv
shows and game reveals, other times it’s providing an enormous help with
technical issues or parts of a game you’re stuck on.

Discord simply can’t provide that. It’s a river running in real-time,
and while it does have search functions, the way the whole app is
structured means you’re simply never going to get the same levels of
detailed discussion or archived information as we can get from forums.
If places want to open a Discord and run that as something /else/, then
cool, but using it as a /replacement/ for forums is a disaster."