[Cuis-dev] Props library and a PreferenceNG browser tool

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Thu May 26 10:45:27 PDT 2022

On 2022-05-26 09:25, Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Props is a library I've developed for specifying properties for any
> kind of object, and then providing the tools for editing them.
>
> The "philosophy" behind it being that any object can have properties,
> and we should be able to edit them with tools.

Mariano,

Nice work.

One problem which comes up again and again is that, in general,
properties may have complex invariants to maintain.

The good thing about _visual_ properties is that they are frequently
simple values (Integer, Point, Color).

My solution was to add descriptions of visual properties (which I called
'MetaProperties').

If you require 'UI-Tools', you get the MetaProperties package which adds
editing for visual properties (NB: NOT all properties) with associated
editors/choosers.  Editing and visual property Drag and Drop is
available from a Morph's Menu.

I also did a simple VisualPropertyEditor which optionally shows all
Morph ivars and properties (but no editing).

I think your editing of properties is great, so please keep developing.
You might also want to combine ideas in/with the MetaProperties package.

Good on ya,
-KenD
Feature require: 'UI-Tools'.

ellipse := EllipseMorph new.
ellipse openInWorld.
(VisualPropertyEditor forMorph: ellipse) openInWorld.
The Drag'n Drop/Editable properties are in purple.
In the attached graphic, the VisualPropertyEditor is below
and the Morph's menu is to the right of the workspace.