[Cuis-dev] WorldMenu

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Fri May 27 07:52:30 PDT 2022

Hi Luciano,
 adding options to menus based on packages is already solved. Look at the
class DynamicMenuBuilder.
 In fact, it is used to create the world menu beside other menues like the
editor menu.
 Hilaire, does the DynamicMenuBuilder satisfy your needs?

Cheers!
Hernan.

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 9:25 AM Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Maybe while you’re looking at this we could also think how to implement
> menus in such a way that packages could add items to the world menu and to
> tool menus (browser, workspace, etc). I think having something like that
> would help to improve modularity. I personally don’t use most of the items
> in the browser and workspace menus and remove many of them in my images,
> but I do this by overriding the *menuOptions methods and it would be nice
> to have a cleaner way to do it.
>
> On Fri, 27 May 2022 at 4:16 PM Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to raise questions on the WorldMenu.
>>
>> I we want multiple WorldMorph (target is the dynabook ;-), we may want
>> different instantiation of WorldMenu populated with very different menus,
>> or even menu not looking like the traditional menu (think my extravagant
>> circular toolbar menu).
>>
>> I will throw a few ideas and questions, just to start the exchange of
>> ideas.
>>
>>    - TheWorldMenu knows about its WorldMorph, but should it not be the
>>    other way?
>>    - Or a WorldMorph should know about a more general object WorldState
>>    to hold state information about the World and among them its menu?
>>    - World menu build up searches methods given a name but it lacks
>>    information about order, parent menu, etc. Therefore the method code needs
>>    to provide it, its makes code more  complex a bit. I fell like using pragma
>>    with appropriate parameters will simplify a lot the code
>>
>> Pharo has a very interesting implementation to learn from. See
>> MenuRegistration class. I used happily, and contributed a very very little
>> to for end-user application world menu.
>>
>> Hilaire
>>

>> --
>> GNU Dr. Geohttp://drgeo.euhttp://blog.drgeo.eu
>>
>> --

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson