[Cuis-dev] Libpulse dependency - why does a programming language require a certain audio interface?

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Sun May 29 15:05:27 PDT 2022

Yes and no, in this case the problem is the beep method
checks the aforementioned property. Someone even changed
this method to use PreferenceNG, but did not bother to add
the property. If there is no SampleSound class, it just sends
primitiveBeep to itself. I presume the later should just beep,
AFAIR it never worked on my Linux installation.

I see four unsolved issues with PreferenceNG (I have to
apologize, I did to review your code, I was busy getting out a
Haver release before Haver's demo).

It's difficult to install preferences for a package, at least without a special CodePackage subclass.
We need something like PreferenceNG at: #somePreferenceSymbol ifAbsentInstall: [ ... ]

We should map the old Preferences code to PreferenceNG, this should provide the old default behavior.
This feature is important for packages the Cuis team can not change.

We have lot of unconverted packages in the Cuis repo.
Just try: find -iname '*.st' | xargs grep -l ' Preferences '.

Implementing some sort of “world state object”, that should hold some sort of local preferences, is at least difficult,
because the whole logic is still at the class side. A PreferencesNGContainer class, that has a singleton instance
bound to PreferencesNG will solve that problem. Of course we need to move the class side methods of PreferenceNG
to the instance side of PreferencesNGContainer.

As I said, I am sorry that I mention this issues when it's almost to late.

Just my CHF 0.05,
Gerald