[Cuis-dev] Package Installer & Package Downloader

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun May 29 15:37:42 PDT 2022

On 2022-05-29 14:19, Mariano Montone wrote:
..
> About your idea of marking packages as "released", I think we could
> extend the PackageDownloader to parse CodePackage 'description'
> instance variables, and extract #tags from there. Then add a tags
> filter in PackageDownloder tool; doesn't sound hard.
>
> How does that sound?

That sounds ideal.

BTW,
https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-BabySteps/issues/1#issuecomment-1140517358
was the issue that triggered this.

Not having the repo meant not having the subdirectory with the png
images.

Again, my concern is the confusion caused to a new user when packages
selected don't load and work.

I agree that spidering over the net to find requirements is not a place
to go, so my thought was to mark packages which are stand-alone
downloads.  Checking base version would be wonderful!

Perhaps st some time a separate pane could show "other packages found"
to allow easy exploration, but my basic concern is to show only packages
where the download are good experience for the user.

A highlight of packages available locally would also be cool.

Sorry for the random comments.  Having users does drive improvement.
And we do want Cuis to get better over time! :)

But what work!  ;^)
-KenD