[Cuis-dev] Package Installer & Package Downloader

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Sun May 29 16:13:56 PDT 2022

El 29/5/22 a las 19:37, ken.dickey at whidbey.com escribió:
> On 2022-05-29 14:19, Mariano Montone wrote:
> ..
>> About your idea of marking packages as "released", I think we could
>> extend the PackageDownloader to parse CodePackage 'description'
>> instance variables, and extract #tags from there. Then add a tags
>> filter in PackageDownloder tool; doesn't sound hard.
>>
>> How does that sound?
>
> That sounds ideal.

Ok. I'll see if I implement something this soon..

> BTW,
> https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-BabySteps/issues/1#issuecomment-1140517358
> was the issue that triggered this.
>
> Not having the repo meant not having the subdirectory with the png
> images.

I think that that package should not appear in PackageDownloader package
list at all then, as PackageDownloader only downloads and works with
package files.

> Again, my concern is the confusion caused to a new user when packages
> selected don't load and work.
>
> I agree that spidering over the net to find requirements is not a
> place to go, so my thought was to mark packages which are stand-alone
> downloads.  Checking base version would be wonderful!
>
> Perhaps st some time a separate pane could show "other packages found"
> to allow easy exploration, but my basic concern is to show only
> packages where the download are good experience for the user.
>

> A highlight of packages available locally would also be cool.

Ok. I'll consider it ..

> Sorry for the random comments.  Having users does drive improvement.
> And we do want Cuis to get better over time! :)
>
> But what work!  ;^)
> -KenD

You are right, a good experience is very important for new users, and
for Cuis to gain new contributors.

        Mariano