[Cuis-dev] Siren progress and questions

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Wed Nov 30 05:44:03 PST 2022

Hi Stephen,

On 11/29/2022 11:36 PM, Stephen Travis Pope via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hello Colleagues,
>
> The good news is that I have a basic display list view that can
> display and scroll my brand of display items (see screen shot below).
> I don’t use morphs for the low-level display items; my display item
> classes can simply draw themselves on a morphic (or other) canvas.
> The view scrolls in 2D; I don’t really need zooming for now.

This is great to know. I'm glad that the Cuis drawing machinery suits
your needs! It is great that you are making real progress with Siren on
Cuis!

> My question lies elsewhere: I can’t seem to get the FFI test to work;
> I get error 16 or 1 for anything I try, even the simplest printf call
> example.
> Is there a special rule or method to set this up?
> Does the VM have to be in the same directory as the VI?

Not at all.

> Are there known issues with the Mac port?
> I’m running on a Mac with a 64-bit ARM V8 processor running MacOS
> Ventura 13.01.
> I’m using the latest squeak.cog.spur_macos64ARMv8 VM from
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk.

Others and me have used FFI quite a bit on Mac (For OpenCL, TensorFlow
and possibly others). But it was on Intel based Macs. I'd need to borrow
an M1 Mac and do some testing.

> Since the VM supports FFI but not the socket interfaces by default, I
> was going to write both the MIDI and OSC interfaces using FFI for now.

But the VM does support sockets. Doing `Feature require:
'Network-Kernel'` will bring the traditional Socket code from Squeak.
Would this work for you?

> Another Q: What’s the interrupt key?

On Macs it is Option-. You may need to press it a couple of times, as it
will do nothing is the process to interrupt is the background process.
You can keep a Transcript open to see notices about this.

> …any replies most appreciated...

Cheers,