[Cuis-dev] Erudite

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Sat Oct 15 05:14:57 PDT 2022

No much interest, so I will resume the discussion from my perspective.

For DrGeo, I write the documentation with Texinfo, it is the official
format for the documentation of GNU application (DrGeo is one of them).
The Cuis Book is also written with this file format. It is flexible
enough and it is quite easy to output to html/pdf.

It is also possible to output to the docbook[1] format, it is a kind of
interchange format of the industry.  But not really sure it is an
interesting format anyway.

Why am I talking about these formats? Just to mention again there are
several good reason to write documentation outside of Erudite and then
import it into Erudite. It does not diminish the value of writing
documentation directly with Erudite, this is something I could do with
students, but may be not for stock documentation.

Of course we want to take advantage of the literate programming features
of Erudite. Under that perspective I don't know which format will give
us the freedom to also describe literate programming text bloc. I am
note sure you can do that with texinfo or docbook without hacking in the
conversion tool, moreover I may want special literate programming for DrGeo.

Mariano, in the example you mentioned, the documentation are markdown
files. How does it work with literate programming?

Thanks

Hilaire

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DocBook

--