[Cuis-dev] Erudite

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 06:18:18 PDT 2022

Hello,

El 15/10/22 a las 09:14, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev escribió:

> No much interest, so I will resume the discussion from my perspective.
>
> For DrGeo, I write the documentation with Texinfo, it is the official
> format for the documentation of GNU application (DrGeo is one of
> them). The Cuis Book is also written with this file format. It is
> flexible enough and it is quite easy to output to html/pdf.

I like TexInfo. I like its model (a graph of nodes), and its
capabilities. I'm also an Emacs user.

> It is also possible to output to the docbook[1] format, it is a kind
> of interchange format of the industry. But not really sure it is an
> interesting format anyway.

Last time I tried docbook, I struggled a bit with the tooling, but could
be interesting anyway. But when I look at it, what comes to my mind is
"work" (schemas, transformations, formatting, etc, etc.).

> Why am I talking about these formats? Just to mention again there are
> several good reason to write documentation outside of Erudite and then
> import it into Erudite. It does not diminish the value of writing
> documentation directly with Erudite, this is something I could do with
> students, but may be not for stock documentation.
>
> Of course we want to take advantage of the literate programming
> features of Erudite. Under that perspective I don't know which format
> will give us the freedom to also describe literate programming text bloc.

TexInfo has macros. DocBook allows customizations. But work on the
conversion tool will still be required.

> I am note sure you can do that with texinfo or docbook without hacking
> in the conversion tool, moreover I may want special literate
> programming for DrGeo.

The grammar of Erudite is easy to extend from separate Cuis packages. We
did that for UML, math plots, etc.

> Mariano, in the example you mentioned, the documentation are markdown
> files. How does it work with literate programming?

My example was with Markdown, but you would use files in Erudite source
format, not Markdown, for your usecase. Then you build Erudite books
from those files. It is straightforward. There are no conversions. Only
matter: there are no good external editing tools for those files, that
can give you a preview, etc. But, are there good user-facing editing
tools for TexInfo, for example? Not sure Emacs counts. So, I think it
would be more or less like what you have now with TexInfo, but you would
have Erudite source files instead. Also, I'm thinking a specialized
Erudite editor could be provided for files in Erudite format, coded in
Cuis + Erudite, if you wanted.

Mariano