[Cuis-dev] Infinite recursions

Hernán Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Sun Oct 16 05:35:59 PDT 2022

> Cool, I tested it with some examples and works fine, thanks.

great!

> Does it have any impact on performance? Why is it not active by default?

Well.. it does... because every 10 millis checks the size of the stack of
each process...
I think the reason is not active by default is that

> And wouldn’t it be better to get a notification from the VM when it’s
> about to run out of memory instead of crashing? I can imagine how this can
> be annoying for new students, but stability is important for all of us, and
> even experienced Smalltalkers can introduce infinite recursions without
> realizing it. I usually work with an image that I have open and running for
> months at a time, and it is very stable except for infinite recursions (I
> think over the last few years it crashed only once for other reason).

Image stability is really really important, even more in newcomers and new
students. One of the reasons I stopped using Pharo at the university and
started using Cuis was that.
Getting out of memory is not that common as an infinite recursion in new
students...
I think the VM has a notification when running out of memory, but I never
looked into it.

There is another source of instability right now that we can not find with
Juan and that happens when changing the shape of a class, there is a use
case the students do that makes the metamodel fail but we cannot
reproduce...

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 at 18:33 Hernán Wilkinson <
> hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Luciano,
>>  I solved that issue that is very common with new students... What I did
>> is a process that checks the size of the stack of each process and if it is
>> greater than X it stops the process and opens a debugger
>>  You can activate it from the Process Browser window. Right click on the
>> process list and select "start StackSizeWatcher"
>>  You can look at the StackSizeWatcher class to see how it works.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Hernan.
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 5:11 AM Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev <
>> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>>
>>> We might have talked about this here before, I’m not sure.
>>>
>>> In my experience with Cuis crashes are very very rare, except for
>>> infinite recursions. Is there any way for Cuis to detect infinite
>>> recursions and signal an exception instead of crashing?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>
>> *Hernán WilkinsonAgile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching*
>> *Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
>> *Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*
>> *site: http://www.10Pines.com <http://www.10pines.com/>*
>> Address: Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*