[Cuis-dev] [DEFECT] Debugger leaves terminated processes

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Oct 21 11:16:43 PDT 2022

On 10/21/2022 9:43 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:

> I tried the 10M killer block with Squeak 6.0,
> with the following result
>
> 1st) Count the terminated processes: 0
> 2nd) Run the killer block.
> 3rd) While in the PreDebugger, count terminated processes: 0
> 4th) Open the debugger, count: 0
> 5th) Close the debugger, count: 0
>
> When I do but save and quit the image, before closing
> the PreDebugger I get the 1.9 GB image (no surprise).
> When close the PreDebugger, save and quit, I am up 140MN from 54MB.
> When run `Smalltalk garbageCollect`, save and quit, I am down to 50M
> image size.
>
> Doing the same with Cuis and Squeak's VM, the image size stays at 1.9GB.
>
> I don't like this behavior.
>

> Sorry,
>
> Gerald

I don't know what to say. Tried both OSX and Ubuntu 64 bit:

=== MacOS ===
Fire fresh Cuis
Install new updates
Evaluate killer
Close the debugger
Save image and quit
Image size is 10.4MB

=== Ubuntu 64 bit ===
Fire fresh Cuis
Install new updates
Evaluate killer
Close the debugger
Save image and quit
Image size is 10.2MB

I did not manually ask for GC. Just closed the debugger and exited.

There must be something we are doing differently.