[Cuis-dev] [DEFECT] Debugger leaves terminated processes

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Fri Oct 21 12:32:15 PDT 2022

On 21.10.22 20:16, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> On 10/21/2022 9:43 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>
>> I tried the 10M killer block with Squeak 6.0,
>> with the following result
>>
>> 1st) Count the terminated processes: 0
>> 2nd) Run the killer block.
>> 3rd) While in the PreDebugger, count terminated processes: 0
>> 4th) Open the debugger, count: 0
>> 5th) Close the debugger, count: 0
>>
>> When I do but save and quit the image, before closing
>> the PreDebugger I get the 1.9 GB image (no surprise).
>> When close the PreDebugger, save and quit, I am up 140MN from 54MB.
>> When run `Smalltalk garbageCollect`, save and quit, I am down to 50M
>> image size.
>>
>> Doing the same with Cuis and Squeak's VM, the image size stays at 1.9GB.
>>
>> I don't like this behavior.
>>

>> Sorry,
>>
>> Gerald
>
> I don't know what to say. Tried both OSX and Ubuntu 64 bit:
>
> === MacOS ===
> Fire fresh Cuis
> Install new updates
> Evaluate killer
> Close the debugger
> Save image and quit
> Image size is 10.4MB
>
> === Ubuntu 64 bit ===
> Fire fresh Cuis
> Install new updates
> Evaluate killer
> Close the debugger
> Save image and quit
> Image size is 10.2MB
>
> I did not manually ask for GC. Just closed the debugger and exited.
>
> There must be something we are doing differently.

Thanks for your effort. I am puzzled, too.
I used the original squeak VM without any
fancy stuff like X11-shared memory or asynchronous
X11 event handling.

This leaves two options, either my Linux setup, ZFS
comes to my mind, does something strange, or my
directory structure leads to some strange behavior.
(I already had issues with ZFS, but the symptoms
were quite different).
The later hypothesis is easy to test, I will repeat
the test in the original Cuis git repo structure.
OTH, why should this make a difference?

Did I get this right, your image grows by one or
two megabytes, but not by roughly two GB?

This drives me nuts!

Thanks again,

Gerald