[Cuis-dev] [DEFECT] Debugger leaves terminated processes

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Oct 21 13:25:28 PDT 2022

On 10/21/2022 4:32 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 21.10.22 20:16, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> On 10/21/2022 9:43 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried the 10M killer block with Squeak 6.0,
>>> with the following result
>>>
>>> 1st) Count the terminated processes: 0
>>> 2nd) Run the killer block.
>>> 3rd) While in the PreDebugger, count terminated processes: 0
>>> 4th) Open the debugger, count: 0
>>> 5th) Close the debugger, count: 0
>>>
>>> When I do but save and quit the image, before closing
>>> the PreDebugger I get the 1.9 GB image (no surprise).
>>> When close the PreDebugger, save and quit, I am up 140MN from 54MB.
>>> When run `Smalltalk garbageCollect`, save and quit, I am down to 50M
>>> image size.
>>>
>>> Doing the same with Cuis and Squeak's VM, the image size stays at
>>> 1.9GB.
>>>
>>> I don't like this behavior.
>>>

>>> Sorry,
>>>
>>> Gerald
>>
>> I don't know what to say. Tried both OSX and Ubuntu 64 bit:
>>
>> === MacOS ===
>> Fire fresh Cuis
>> Install new updates
>> Evaluate killer
>> Close the debugger
>> Save image and quit
>> Image size is 10.4MB
>>
>> === Ubuntu 64 bit ===
>> Fire fresh Cuis
>> Install new updates
>> Evaluate killer
>> Close the debugger
>> Save image and quit
>> Image size is 10.2MB
>>
>> I did not manually ask for GC. Just closed the debugger and exited.
>>
>> There must be something we are doing differently.
>>

> Thanks for your effort. I am puzzled, too.
> I used the original squeak VM without any
> fancy stuff like X11-shared memory or asynchronous
> X11 event handling.
>
> This leaves two options, either my Linux setup, ZFS
> comes to my mind, does something strange, or my
> directory structure leads to some strange behavior.
> (I already had issues with ZFS, but the symptoms
> were quite different).
> The later hypothesis is easy to test, I will repeat
> the test in the original Cuis git repo structure.
> OTH, why should this make a difference?
>
> Did I get this right, your image grows by one or
> two megabytes, but not by roughly two GB?
>
> This drives me nuts!
>

> Thanks again,
>
> Gerald

Try doing it in a short time, i.e. no more than a couple of seconds
between each step. Maybe that makes the difference between moving or not
some object to old space. Perhaps try the last release of the VM, from a
few months ago.

HTH,