[Cuis-dev] Some questions on The Cuis Book & other questions

Ignacio Sniechowski 0800nacho at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 04:25:20 PST 2023

Hi!
Hope everyone is well
Thanks for updating The Cuis Book
I have a question in page 20 one reads:

*"Note. We wrote earlier a string is a collection of characters. It is true
for byte string, where each character is encoded with a byte – a byte
string. However since 2023, the default string format for Cuis-Smalltalk is
Unicode (UTF-8) where each character can be encoded with 1, 2, 3 or 4
bytes. Therefore it is immutable and can not be indexed, it can be
converted as byte string with the message #asByteString."*

>From here I understand that the first example should not work, unless
-which is probably the case here- I'm misunderstanding the  part
"Therefore, it is immutable and *can not be indexed*, it can be
converted..."

'Hello' at: 1 ⇒ $H
'Hello' asByteString at: 5 ⇒ $o
The other question is related to shortcuts in SmalltalkEditor, I find the
shortcut Cmd - " very useful for quoting results of chunks of code in the
workspace. This works when the keyboard is in Enlgish, when I use a Spanish
keyboard (double quotes are located as Shift + 2, it does not work.
If I print in a workspace

'Hello' at: 1. $H     " and do here CMD + Shift + ," in English keyboard
'Hello' at: 1. "$H"

But if I do it in a Spanish keyboard which involves pressing CMD-Shift-2
nothing happens. There are other shorcuts that do not work in a Spanish
keyboard like Cmd-<

It is weird because the majority works as intenteded.
Thanks!

*Ignacio Sniechowski*