[Cuis-dev] Siren progress

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Thu Jan 12 07:49:45 PST 2023

Hi Stephen,

(If you prefer to be called Steph, STP, or any other way, please tell).

(inline)
On 1/9/2023 7:44 PM, Stephen Travis Pope via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hello colleagues,
>
> I have a few questions, now that I’m deep in the weeds back-porting
> the last month’s GUI work in Squeak to Cuis.
>
> 1: Why does the Transcript not allow scroll-back or selection?

The reason is that in Cuis the Transcript can update immediately while
things are running. For instance, when running

1 to: 10 do: [ :i | i print. (Delay forSeconds: 1) wait ]

you don't need to wait for execution to finish. Additionally, updates
sent from different processes are instantly displayed in the order they
are sent. This is useful for debugging synchronization issues. Also,
Transcript doesn't use Morphic, or the text display machinery in Morphic
used by the rest of the tools. Transcript can even be used without a
running UI at all. This is very useful when working on the UI process
and the UI framework itself.

All this means Transcript is dog simple. It can't edit text, or scroll
or select it.

>  I know I can get a workspace on the contents, but that’s not updated
> after it’s opened.

It should. Please play a bit with it, and if you don't see it updating,
tell steps to reproduce.

> 2: Why does the Transcript swallow cr’s so you can’t have blank lines.
>  I made a change (attached below) so that it doesn’t put a cr at the
> end of each entry, so you can put multiple entries on the same line.

Just pushed a variation of this to GitHub. Please test.

> 3: Why are all return values printed in the Transcript?

In Workspaces we have "doIt" and "printIt". "printIt" prints to the
workspace, and usually I don't want that. But I personally do like some
feedback on the result of the evaluation, and didn't want to add yet
another shortcut key.

I think we'd add a preference for this. Thoughts?

> 4: I noticed that a couple of you have been working on
> the RealEstateAgent lately; I had an extension to make it a system
> preference to place windows at the mouse pointer.  Is that possible now?

I don't think it is possible, and it would be a nice addition.

Thanks!