[Cuis-dev] The Xerox PARC Archive Is Open!

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Sun May 14 04:04:41 PDT 2023

Le 14/05/2023 à 00:05, ken.dickey at whidbey.com a écrit :
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwL3yXdupv0
>>>
>>> Capstone comments at the end on why the DynaBook still matters are
>>> well worth it.
>>
>> Which comment ?
>
> Alan answered the question "Why is the DynaBook concept still relevant?"
>
> The short answer is that we still need to aid multiple ways of
> thinking; to break out of shallow stories/theater and
> stimulus/response addiction and be able to deeply think iconic,
> symbolic, aesthetic, metric, simulation, .. to capture and share deep
> understanding. [My paraphrase].

Ok got this. Related to GUI, Alan shows three axes: Body/gesture
centered, visions/iconic centered and symbolic centered. Does the later
includes scripting he mentioned?. Under Alan perspective, and my
understanding this is what ensure deeper knowledge understanding. I am
tempted to add a fourth axes, mentioned in your notes by the way:

> Agenda of Tasks (editing a document is also a task); progress; time
> frame; reminders

This is the task. Itself predicted/guessed/framed by four axes: What?
Who? Where? When?

Take an example:

This is the beginning of the lesson (When). The student (who) opens her
Dynabook. This is the art course (What). The student is in the classroom
(Where)

The GUI is bent to match these four axes framing the task the user may
want to conduct.

I think all these match our very personal way of conducting things.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu