[Cuis-dev] Proposed changes to the Push up / Push down refactors

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Thu May 25 07:21:09 PDT 2023

Hi Hernán,

El 24/5/23 a las 11:08, Hernán Wilkinson via Cuis-dev escribió:
>  that is great!!! but we have to synchronize this changes because I
> have a student doing his thesis working on similar improvements!!

may I suggest a possible subject for one of those thesis? How about
structured navigation, selection and editing of Smalltalk code, ala
tree-sitter, this kind of thing:
https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/combobulate-structured-movement-editing-treesitter.

For example, I miss the ability to select Smalltalk expressions by
expression. Instead of having to move the cursor to exact positions, I
could use let's say Shift+Ctrl+UP several times, and that would select
the expression at cursor point, then the enclosing expression, etc.

This is also close to refactoring stuff, like variable renaming and
other things.

I'm not sure about the level of difficulty and how realistic it is to
implement this as a thesis, but I think the result would be both very
interesting and also useful.

Cheers,

       Mariano