[Cuis-dev] Hello community

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Mon Jul 1 06:25:53 PDT 2024

Hi Steve,

On 6/28/2024 3:57 PM, admin at stede.me admin--- via Cuis-dev wrote:
> After watching Developer Voices I was excited to download Cuis and
> give Smalltalk and the virtual machine a brief look. I must say I am
> amazed. I been programming professionally since the 90s and
> unprofessionally since the Commodore 64 days as a kid. I have tried
> everything from Assembly to C and everything since and I have always
> felt dissatisfied with the way we program and develop software ever
> since the beginning. I have had no real knowledge of Smalltalk other
> than it was the first real object oriented programming language.

Welcome to the Cuis community! I'm happy you found use. I hope you enjoy
Smalltalk as much as any of us do.

> I always though Smalltalk was just a language until I fired up the
> virtual machine. How on Earth did OOP get detangled from the
> environment and wind up as Java I will never know. I never liked OOP
> but in my first few hours playing around with it was opened my eyes.

Yeah. First it was C++, then Java... Whe we complained people called us
zealots. They never understood what they were ignoring. Especially to
blame is IBM, that after developing and selling their own, very good,
Smalltalk system, they just jumped full throttle on Java. Big mistake
they did.

> First, I just wanted to say hello. Second I have a few basic questions
> I hope someone could help me with. I want to focus my image on AI and
> everything with it including consciousness, NN, LLMs but particular
> finding other solutions to the same goal.

There's an interface to TensorFlow for Cuis. Also, around 10 years ago I
played a bit with deep learning. Implemented my own sigmoid, gradient
descent, etc. Never followed on that, and it is rather easy to re do
that anytime.

> If anything were to come from it, I was wondering if anyone has played
> around with the concept of using Smalltalk to translate my code to
> different languages?

Using AI? Maybe ChatGPT can do it. Maybe a specific tool wound be
interesting. If you explore that, please keep us posted!

> I am also interested in computer science and software engineering in
> general and hope to contribute to the community if I can in any way.

Thanks. You'll find that there is a lot of room for improvement in any
direction you want to take. In general, we are rather careful and
selective with what we include in the base image, but encourage and
appreciate any experimentation or development that can be done in
external package, so everybody can easily choose what they want to have
in their image.

> Thanks again for such a wonderful language. Lets make this the way
> everyone programs in the 21st century.
> Steve.

That's the attitude!