[Cuis-dev] Hello community

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Thu Jul 4 23:39:17 PDT 2024

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Cuis-Smalltalk community!

Le 28/06/2024 à 20:57, admin at stede.me admin--- via Cuis-dev a écrit :
> I always though Smalltalk was just a language until I fired up the
> virtual machine. How on Earth did OOP get detangled from the
> environment and wind up as Java I will never know. I never liked OOP
> but in my first few hours playing around with it was opened my eyes.

If you stay long enough with Smalltalk, you will be amazed how efficient
and productive you can be when solving problems with it. After 20 years
of Smalltalk, I am still amazed. Not longer than a couple of days ago, I
was amazed again how good the language and its environment are to
modeling and to solve problem. As a dean at my school, I have to enroll
about 180 students in  8 classes, with different constraint as some
students must be together, other not, some need to be in specific
classes, other not, then you want equal genders distribution, minimize
the isolated students, minimize the scores variance. I gave it a shot
with Cuis-Smalltlak, worked for two days on the model and the code, then
it generated thousand of enrollment arrangements.

> First, I just wanted to say hello. Second I have a few basic questions
> I hope someone could help me with. I want to focus my image on AI and
> everything with it including consciousness, NN, LLMs but particular
> finding other solutions to the same goal. If anything were to come
> from it, I was wondering if anyone has played around with the concept
> of using Smalltalk to translate my code to different languages?

IMHO, Cuis-Smalltalk will be fantastic to experiment with different
models with live adjustment to your models. You should get through the
Cuis Book, it will give you important insight, an investment that will
save you time later.

> I am also interested in computer science and software engineering in
> general and hope to contribute to the community if I can in any way.

Yes, there are always plenty of way to contribute: participation to
discussions or events like the monthly  Cuis meeting, testing, proof
reading documentation, suggestions, bugs fix, writing documentation.
Just pick up the topic you like.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo