[Cuis-dev] Cuis Image Usage Patten

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sat Jul 6 08:32:56 PDT 2024

Over the years I have found many, many ways to confuse myself.

There are a number of usage patterns for Cuis development.  This is what
I do.

[1] Whenever a new Cuis image file shows up in a "git pull", I invoke it
and save it as "Dev.image".

I never change or save the repo's base Cuis image, so I can always start
from this.

[2] After a pull (pullAllRepos), I always open the Dev.image and

   World Menu --> Changes --> Install New Updates

and save the Dev.image.

This is not required but saves a bit of time.

[3] For working, I just open Dev.image and immediately save that Image
with a working name (e.g. UI.image, TrashMe.image, Solitaire.image,
<whatever>).

This means that I only keep Dev.image updated with changes and don't
save it otherwise.

So I have 2 levels of backup in case I mess up and save some
trashy/experimental code in the wrong image.

As I develop in git backed Packages and start with the `Feature
require:` in an image from [3], I seldom have a problem with mixed or
mixed-up code images.

Another strategy I sometimes use is to save the contents of a Workspace
into a file (e.g. call it "work.st" or whatever) and in the fresh image,
open the saved file in the File List, select it, and select
   workspace with contents
This allows me to easily repeat a number of "Feature require:"s and
other bits of setup/test code.

HTH,
-KenD

"Truth emerges more readily from error than from confusion."  Francis
Bacon