[Cuis-dev] How to locate changes

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Mon Jun 3 08:27:27 PDT 2024

Hi Leo,

Welcome to Cuis!

On 6/3/2024 4:40 AM, Leo Noordhuizen via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope that this is the correct place to ask this question:

It sure is.

> I am rather new to Cuis Smalltalk and wonder how I can find more
> information about changes made to the core system.

The system is changing all the time. Some changes, especially those that
require a decision or may impact people's work are discussed in this
mail list. Others may be not discussed, but starting discussion about
them is welcome.

> For example I cannot find the reason why the method _asCharacter_ has
> been removed and, more importantly, where I find a way to get the same
> functionality.

#asCharacter was removed because of code style. It was implemented in
too many, too different classes and didn't help the sender make it clear
why it was being sent. It was a bit like automatic type conversions in
other languages, that are usually a source of bugs.

To get the same functionality, you need to browse methods in the class
side of Character, and find the one you need.

> In general, I find it rather difficult to cope with the changes to the
> system, compared to the functionality used in various publications.
>
> Where do I start ?

If these publications are specific to Cuis, please report such issues
here, as it means we need to update them.

If these publications were meant to some other Smalltalk dialect, it
means that Smalltalk dialects are not fully compatible. The only
solutions are to find Cuis specific documentation, and to better know
Cuis itself. One of the big ideas of Smalltalk is to make it easy to
study and modify the system, and encourage users to do so.

https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich
https://twitter.com/JuanVuletich