[Cuis-dev] unnecessary punctuation

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 08:55:46 PDT 2024

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 21:03 Boris Shingarov via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> > IMO, it is usually fine to use the same selector with different meanings
> in
> > different classes, its not always bad (IMO) and it makes code nicer to
> read
> > and selectors easier to guess (for a new user).
>
> Hmm.  I think it can lead to a nightmare.  Imagine I want to refactor,
> in particular to rename.  So I rename the implementors of the first
> meaning.  Now I have to rename in the senders.  How am I supposed to
> tell which senders are first-meaning and which are second-meaning?
>
> What if there are 1000 senders?

I think its a general question of managing complexity, with more modularity
and better tools. But its already much easier in smaller systems like Cuis.

> Why am I saying this?  Because in that "other direction", if we already
> have BlockClosure>>value, then Object>>value better mean the same thing.

Yes, perhaps you’re right, and perhaps there’s a way to think it so it is
even consistent with Association>>#value?…