[Cuis-dev] new YouTube video on Cuis Smalltalk

lewis at mail.msen.com lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jun 23 10:29:55 PDT 2024

On 2024-06-23 08:19, Jaromir Matas via Cuis-dev wrote:

> On 22-Jun-24 4:01:06 AM, "lewis--- via Cuis-dev"
> <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
>> This is a really good video conversation.
>
> Great indeed!
>
>> Juan explains Smalltalk and Cuis from first principles, with
>> historical context and highlighting perspectives
>
> I'm not sure I understand the part about "knowledge" though: "Write,
> describe, communicate knowledge" - what does it mean exactly? Is it
> about Smalltalk as a language? The language itself is not that
> different from other (high-level) languages. A good language certainly
> is a great help to formulate things but it's still a "programming
> language". I guess there more to it I didn't get :)

It really is more than just a programming language. It is an environment
that lets you create objects to represent concepts, experiment with your
ideas, and to document your understanding both with comments and with
executable examples. In this way, Smalltalk is more about communicating
knowledge rather than code and data.

In my own experience, I have used Smalltalk to figure out problems
related to automotive assembly plants, even if the ideas later get
written in other languages (Java, C, SQL). It's just much more
comfortable to do the thinking in Smalltalk.

Dave