[Cuis-dev] new YouTube video on Cuis Smalltalk

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Jun 23 07:04:23 PDT 2024

On 2024-06-23 01:19, Jaromir Matas via Cuis-dev wrote:

>> Juan explains Smalltalk and Cuis from first principles, with
>> historical context and highlighting perspectives
>
> I'm not sure I understand the part about "knowledge" though: "Write,
> describe, communicate knowledge" - what does it mean exactly? Is it
> about Smalltalk as a language? The language itself is not that
> different from other (high-level) languages. A good language certainly
> is a great help to formulate things but it's still a "programming
> language". I guess there more to it I didn't get :)

I think of the development of Entity-Relation databases plus Ontology
plus simulation plus human/computer interaction, all of which was
happening at this time.  Smalltalk-80 is a well-grounded simplification
which works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93relationship_model
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(information_science)

> Other question - Smalltalk was originally supposed to be the universal
> environment above the hardware level. Everything below the VM is the
> hardware (a machine language), everything above the VM is Smalltalk
> (the UI, apps...). Even the VM is written in a simplified Smalltalk
> (Slang); what was supposed to be the role of C - to stay as an
> intermediary between the Smalltalk level and the hardware or was (is?)
> it supposed to be eliminated somehow eventually?

That depends on your psychology, goals, and pragmatics.

The Squeak folks noted Scheme48, which is/was a Scheme written in Scheme
which compiled to C and had decent performance on computers of the day
-- so they knew it could be done.

https://www.s48.org/

Bee Smalltalk does direct to machine code.  CogNos does direct to
machine.

Bee paper refs in
https://github.com/KenDickey/BeeYourself/blob/main/README.md

https://github.com/nopsys/CogNOS

Personally, my pragmatics follow Juan.  Use the things that exist where
one has no interest. In my case I have little interest in writing device
drivers for x86+arm64+RISCV64+..  My minimalist system is Alpine Linux
and a Framebuffer (no Window system, but disk & network & minimal OS).

[This is why the OpenSmalltalk framebuffer works again now. ;^)
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev]

Where is your "value added"?  If you are doing disk fragmentation, you
want direct access to disk drive hardware.  If not, use a File System!

HTH,
-KenD