[Cuis-dev] new YouTube video on Cuis Smalltalk

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sat Jun 29 13:01:54 PDT 2024

On 2024-06-29 10:22, Joseph Turco via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Personally, I think the hardest part understanding how to design a
> program is the algorithms available and data structures. This might be
> a bit off topic, but when people tell me you don't need math to
> program, I somewhat disagree.

Apologies, as I am only halfway through updating the SamplePackage
Tutorial for Cuis 7.0, but

https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis/blob/master/SamplePackage1.md

does show a dictionary/lookup application with virtually zero math.

BTW, I just finished re-reading _Where Mathematics Comes From: How the
Embodied Mind Brings Mathematics into Being_
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Mathematics_Comes_From
which distinguishes the notation of mathematics from _understanding_
math via the underlying metaphors and metaphorical blends.

In particular, it helped me understand why some aspects of math have
been hard or impossible for me to accept.   In particular, I accept no
"number" called "infinity", which I call "indefinity" and think of as
"off scale".  I prefer constructive mathematics.

Off topic, but I recommend the book.

YMMV,
-KenD