[Cuis-dev] Beta for Cuis 7.0 stable, Rolling Release is 7.1

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Mon May 20 12:21:30 PDT 2024

Hi Hilaire,

On 5/20/2024 9:56 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Le 13/05/2024 à 22:00, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev a écrit :
>> I've just created a new repo for Cuis 7.0. This is the beta phase of
>> the release, where we can do QA and fix any issues.
>
> Does this stable release 7.0 capture the state of the third party
> packages?

One of the objectives of the stable releases is to offer a higher level
of quality than the rolling release. Only packages that are well
maintained and known to work should be considered part of the stable
release. The packages that I have already included are the ones I
thought reasonable to assume to be in a good enough shape.

> Stable release 6.2 did not work for DrGeo, because third party
> packages were kept compatible with 6.3 with no version for 6.2
>
> We discussed that at that time.

Which other packages do you need for DrGeo? We'd review them for
quality, and add them. I really need to know this in order to be able to
help.

>> Official release of Cuis 7.0 will be on May 31st.
>>
>> The rolling release of Cuis has been bumped to 7.1.
>
> I have small issue with 7.1 and my configuration script to install my
> development environment. For the record the script is executed from
> the a Bash script with -s  flag to the VM.
>
> In my configuration script, I setup VM to fullscreen, however now the
> fullscreen resize is effective only later, therefore the
> RealEstateAgent information of screen area is wrong. The usable area
> is set to a smaller surface, the default one of the VM window I guess.
>
> See part of the script:
>
>     (Delay forSeconds: 1) wait.
>     UISupervisor whenUIinSafeState: [
>         (world submorphs reject: [:aMorph | aMorph is: #TaskbarMorph])
>             do: [:each | each delete].
>         "Adjust font size"
>         Preferences at: #defaultFontSize put: 10.
>         "Adjust taskbar size"
>         morph := world taskbar.
>         morph scale: 1/2.
> *        Display fullScreenMode: true.*
>         "Compute the available free space for windows placement"
>         area := RealEstateAgent maximumUsableArea extendBy: 0 @ morph
> morphHeight negated.
>         extent := area extent // 2.
>         "Open a few System Browsers"
>         Browser open
>             morphPosition: 0 at 0;
>             morphExtent: extent.
>

> Any idea?

You say "now the fullscreen resize is effective only later". Is this due
to changes in the Linux startup script? The only relevant changes to
that file are
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/commit/2ef28c221e5db84b05f849141896222b971c611f#diff-829ae88058002c7284027f40ba713fc097831538a4e5339ef17901ed3d7f9f66
and
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/commit/09a1340e7bc19d88b88a6c71e0e924b3498dfc77
You can experiment with them.

Or the reason is some update to the Cuis image? If so, can you isolate
the change set that generates this behavior? It should be something
after the last 6.3RR on which you were able to run your configuration
script. You may try loading them in batches, and find out which one is
responsible.

HTH.