[Cuis-dev] [RFC] Make \<latex symbol> expansion switchable?

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Tue Oct 22 05:13:24 PDT 2024

On 10/22/24 12:42 PM, Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Also, if I had to write \euro in a SmalltalkEditor I’d write euro first,
> then go back and add the \. And, in the mean time, if this is bothering you
> a lot you can set NamedCharactersMap to Dictionary new.
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2024 at 17:34 Luciano Notarfrancesco <luchiano at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I don’t know what others think, but IMO we could make it a preference, or
>> we could make Character class>>namedCharactersMap empty in the base image
>> and have an optional package to load all the default table, or let
>> individual packages add the symbols that they need (in my packages I add
>> extra symbols sometimes, specially when they are not latex standard names).
>>
>> Gerald, you need to edit latex in a text editor inside Cuis? This is
>> implemented only in SmalltalkEditor, so you could use a normal TextEditor
>> instead? or you need to write latex in Smalltalk code?
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2024 at 17:07 Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev <
>> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, Hi Juan,
>>>
>>> Is there interest in making the expansion of LaTex symbols like
>>> "\euro" optional?
>>>
>>> I just started to write a LaTex based report generator
>>> and found e.g. the automatic expansion "\euro" a pain in
>>> my bottom. The report should contain the LaTex command
>>> "\euro" and not "€".
>>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Gerald
>>> --

Yes, thanks, I did something similar.

Concerning this "€" confusion, the real culprit is Latex's.
You can use "€" in your latex input, which is easy for me
(I live in Germany and even while a use a US-keyboard layout, I
have the Euro-Symbol mapped on AltGr-5).

If you use the \euro command thinks look like this:

If you use the Unicode symbol it looks like this:

(Please disregard the differences in size)
I can see that the font designer wants a symbol
fitting into his/her font, but the EU has a very stern
view on how a Euro-Sign should look.

See:

Taken form
https://european-union.europa.eu/institutions-law-budget/euro/design_en