[Cuis-dev] [OffTopic] Re: [RFC] Make \<latex symbol> expansion switchable?

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Tue Oct 22 07:46:47 PDT 2024

On 10/22/24 4:23 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> If I understand this correctly, you are either using two different
> fonts or two different code points in that example. Can you confirm?
> What is the UTF-8 for each one of them? What is the font?
>
> I'd like to reproduce and understand this, to know if there is
> something in Cuis that needs fixing.
>
> I'm asking for the actual UTF-8 in the UnicodeString instance, and not
> the keystrokes to produce them. Only after getting String
> representation and text rendering correct I can focus on keyboard input.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On 10/22/2024 8:13 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>

>> Concerning this "€" confusion, the real culprit is Latex's.
>> You can use "€" in your latex input, which is easy for me
>> (I live in Germany and even while a use a US-keyboard layout, I
>> have the Euro-Symbol mapped on AltGr-5).
>>
>> If you use the \euro command thinks look like this:
>>
>> If you use the Unicode symbol it looks like this:
>>
>> (Please disregard the differences in size)
>> I can see that the font designer wants a symbol
>> fitting into his/her font, but the EU has a very stern
>> view on how a Euro-Sign should look.
>>
>> See:
>>

>> Taken form
>> https://european-union.europa.eu/institutions-law-budget/euro/design_en
>>
>> Just my Fr. 0.00,
>>
>> Gerald

Juan, nothing is wrong with Cuis. I apologize:
This post was at least a bit off-topic.

This post refers to LaTex only. The examples are taken from a
simple piece of LaTex code, written with Emacs.

I don't know what this \euro command does – and
admittedly I have no stomach to find out.
I only look at the results.

The tex-file looks like this:

\documentclass{scrartcl}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{eurosym}
\renewcommand{\figurename}{Beleg}
\begin{document}
\begin{figure}[htb]
   \caption{KA0482}
   \begin{tabular}{ll}
     Datum:&00.00.0000\\
     Betrag:&0,00\euro\\
     Betrag:&500,00€\\
     Buchungstext:&Orem lipsum und der ganze Shiet.\\
   \end{tabular}
\end{figure}
\end{document}

I also attached the resulting PDF-file.

In a nutshell everything, especially Cuis replacement of \euro with €,
would be fine, if LaTex would adhere to (European) standards.

Again sorry for bothering you and Best Regards,

Gerald