[Cuis-dev] Context in Exception

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Sun Apr 28 09:51:26 PDT 2024

On 4/28/2024 10:21 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Le 27/04/2024 à 20:42, Juan Vuletich a écrit :
>> You are still far from a working debugger. For instance, in this
>> case, the error happens in a stack frame that is not visible, so you
>> can't point the user to it. I don't know if a debugger without a view
>> of the stack call is of use... Maybe if you set the context to the
>> one throwing the Error?
>
> My belief is the executing stack is not needed for a script, ok may be
> this assertion is wrong.

It depends on what do you want the debugger for. If you want your users
to debug message not understood errors, they need to find the call
sequence that led to the error.

>> I wonder if it would best to simply use the regular debugger.
>
> Yes it will be more reliable. If only we could set some preferences to
> make the stock debugger less impressive. Ideas?
>
> Context: I  want a debugger kids and teachers can use when editing and
> executing Smtalltalk sketch. These users know nothing about Smalltalk
> and little or nothing about programming. There is a lot of unneeded
> information for them in the stock debugger.
> Interested on ideas.
>
> Hilaire

I can't really imagine the situation. They don't know much about
programming, but they write and debug code? What kind of errors do they
face? Which parts of the regular debugger they don't need? It should be
easy to just remove / hide them...