[Cuis-dev] [Integrated] Should we rename these? Re: support for variable indexable subclasses of 8/16/32/64 bits

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun May 26 13:49:57 PDT 2019

On 5/21/2019 2:44 PM, Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev wrote:
> This changeset adds support for variableDoubleByte and
> variableDoubleWord subclasses in Spur images, following the same
> method name conventions used in Squeak (except Behaviour>>isLongs and
> isShorts that I replaced with isDoubleBytes and isDoubleWords to be
> more consistent and avoid the ambiguity of 'long' and 'short'). It
> includes classes DoubleByteArray and DoubleWordArray just as Squeak.
>
> I need this in my project in order to support compact representations
> for some objects that are performance-critical (permutations,
> tuples/matrices/polynomials over Z/nZ, elements of finite fields,
> etc), and to later be able to easily improve performance adding a few
> primitives.
>
> Please review and let me know what you think.

Very nice! I just integrated your support for these new formats as
updates (changesets). But the classes themselves, DoubleByteARray and
DoubleWordArray, I made them into a new package, that can only be used
with Spur images.

Folks, these names are getting confusing. I think we'd name them better.
What about ByteArray, SignedByteArray, Int16Array, SignedInt16Array,
Int32Array, SignedInt32Array, Int64Array, SignedInt64Array,
Float32Array,  Double64Array, SignedPoint16Array and SignedPoint32Array?