[Cuis-dev] Install vs FileIn?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Apr 28 06:27:06 PDT 2020

Hi Pat,

On 4/27/2020 9:57 PM, Pat Foley via Cuis-dev wrote:

>    1. Getting the hang of it I think. I had been reaching for
>       *fileOut*on my new /method/as the way to keep the base image
>       clean, but then I get a *.st file and the only option for those
>       is *fileIn*. If instead I name my /ChangeSet/and file it out, I
>       get a *._cs_.st file and that offers *Install*from the FileList.
>       Lurching now toward a basic workflow now along the lines
>       recommended.

Yes. Any Smalltalk system provides many ways to do things. You pick what
works best for you. I don't use fileOut of individual methods much, but
sometimes I do too.

>    1. New version of the doc is quite precise and makes sense after
>       repeatedly experimenting/fiddling around and then rereading. The
>       new version however does /not/show up within Cuis itself (from
>       the Help menu). Is there something to rebuild or reload?

Yes. This is not automated and I forgot about it. I just pushed update
#4125 with this to GitHub. Thanks.

> (As a newcomer to Smalltalk, I ignored all of this at first: I opened
> the base image just once, saved a copy and then proceeded to do
> exercises and experiments in my own little image. That still strikes
> me as a simple and reasonable way to begin learning Smalltalk.)

Of course! Smalltalk was meant to learn by experimenting since the
start. Experimenting is great. Also useful are written docs, asking
questions, etc. And keep in mind that everything in a Smalltalk system
is meant to be available for study. A lot can be learnt by reading the
system code, inspecting live objects, breaking stuff, stepping into with
the debugger, etc. Above all, enjoy the journey!