[Cuis-dev] Monticello and PackageInfo

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Dec 3 04:17:17 PST 2020

The Cuis Help system on code management says:

"More details about how PackageInfo decides what code belongs in a package are available at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3329 .

To install packages (.pck.st files) in Cuis, use the FileList, navigate to the appropriate directory (on disk, or in a GitHub repository, etc), select the package file and click on [Install Package]."

My question is whether there is a way to get PackageInfo .pkg.st files,
from Monticello packages.

I downloaded the Monticello package DoItFirst-System-Support-dtl.14.mcz
and unzip'ed the file, from the UNIX command line.

This results in some files in a directory but unfortunately without .pkg.st :

bash-4.4$ find .
.
./version
./snapshot.bin
./package
./DoItFirst-System-Support-dtl.14.mcz
./snapshot
./snapshot/source.st

I was hoping to be able to fileIn the snapshot/source.st file,
or to use another method to add this package to Cuis.

Because I don't see a .pck.st file, I am trying to fileIn the source.st.

Assuming the idea to fileIn the snapshot/source.st file is correct,
I tried to fileIn the source.st file, however this fails.

The initalize method of the DoItFirst class is doing:

initialize
	Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self before: SmallInteger.

When I try to load this class in a Cuis smalltalk image, it complains
that the Smalltalk class in Cuis doesNotUnderstand addToStartUpList: before:

However my main question is generally speaking whether it is possible
to load Monticello packages into Squeak, for example by a method
(unknown to me) to create .pkg.st files.

Thanks!
David Stes