[Cuis-dev] Monticello and PackageInfo

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Dec 7 07:34:43 PST 2020

David,

> However my main question is generally speaking whether it is possible
> to load Monticello packages into Squeak, for example by a method
> (unknown to me) to create .pkg.st files.

I suspect one can still load Monticello packages into Squeak, but I
almost never use Squeak.  You need to ask the Squeak list about that.
That list is squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org

Cuis has quite a few differences from Squeak, especially in the Morphic
class hierarchy.  Morph instances are defined differently, the
containment coordinate system is different, layouts are different, ...

Because of the differences between Smalltalk dialects, it is not really
possible to create a "repackager" from one dialect to another.

Basically, one needs to port code between the Smalltalk dialects.  This
means understanding both the "from" and "to" world views.

Code/packages without display (e.g. parsers, numerics) are pretty easy
to port.

There is a Cuis package
Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/CompatibilityPackages/SqueakCompatibility with some
aids
   Feature require: 'SqueakCompatibility'

My strategy in porting is to use the File List, open a Package Browser
(*.pck.st) or a Code Browser (*.st).

I then create a new Category and Package and copy anything I need from
the original (unported) code, making changes as required and testing as
I go along.

Unit tests are much appreciated!

There are tutorials in https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis
Please also look at Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/Documentation .

HTH,
-KenD