[Cuis-dev] Documenting Cuis

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Wed Jul 8 15:17:57 PDT 2020

Hi Juan,

The license could be Creative Common Attribution-Share Alike as the
Squeak/Pharo by Example books from where we could pickup some parts, the
Smalltalk ones (I wrote the original Morphic chapter, in French).

I briefly took a look at documentation systems, Spinx[1] looks
interesting and largely used. It will require some effort to export to
the Euridite wiki like original editing format though. There are
numerous use case examples to visit[2].

[1] https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/

[2] https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/examples.html

Yes to a preface explaining the origin of Cuis!

Regarding the "Configuring Cuis Smalltalk environment" section, in my
mind, it is a tour to the Cuis GUI to customize it to the personal
tastes of the user (font, size, theme, window placement), so not much
technical.

For us, Morphic is like breathing air, very common and basic. Is it the
case for a  Cuis/Smalltalk neophyte? I think no. That's why I pushed it
to the second part of the book. Nevertheless, the first part could write
about Morphic, in the two application examples, but not exhaustively.

We should question our self, what is the target audience of the book? I
was thinking about a reader with little or no experience in programming,
but interested on the topic. It is important to decide on the typical
reader for the book to get the content right for. Smalltalkers, coming
or curious about Cuis, will likely have little benefit of the book; they
are capable to figure out by themselves how to start and use fluently
Cuis. The vast majority of prospective readers to seduce have zero
knowledge about Smalltalk and Cuis. This gives some perspective.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu