[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Wed Jun 17 08:54:01 PDT 2020

I think HyperCard got closer to this than any other programming (authoring) tool.

I was a hard core stack head before I became a professional programmer.  I built tons of stacks.

I build a computer system for a blind user (my grandmother) which included a number of tools that could
be used without a mouse or screen (keyboard navigation with audio feedback) using a combination of
prerecorded audio snippets and text to speech (I used the TalkingMoose XCMD) and it could access
dialup services via a serial port XCMD.  I was not yet a trained programmer.  I just "made things".

I have never used a more immediate programming environment where cmd-opt clicking on any screen element popped open the code
editor for that element.

I am always hoping to get back to that simplicity and immediacy but nothing every quite makes it.
If you were ever in the HyperCard community, it was mostly amateurs building their own tools.

To a large extent, I think web browsers have taken its place but working in a web browser is a tangle of files and ugly syntax
loaded with distracting clutter.  But it is still approachable by dedicated amateurs.