[Cuis-dev] Updates to Cuis Finder

Nicolás Papagna Maldonado nicolas.papagna at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 07:19:52 PDT 2020

Hi folks!

A couple of days ago I found by chance (I was not subscribed to Github
Notifications) that Mariano's changes have been merged into the
Cuis-SmalltalkDev
<https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/pull/175>.

As I mentioned in this thread, I was trying out the changes using Mariano's
Finder in my personal Cuis projects to test the changes (thanks Hernan for
testing them too, and Mariano for submitting them!).

However, https://github.com/npapagna/cuis-finder is the official repo for
Cuis-Finder and I believe if something is going to be merged into
Cuis-SmalltalkDev it should be first "officially" merged into Cuis-Finder.
If this is not the case, then I'll either run an outdated repo, or I'll be
forced to merge changes without having the chance to evaluate them just to
keep it in sync.

I do believe this was not done with bad intentions and think it's a great
opportunity to improve the way we handle these kinds of scenarios to make
things easier/more stable for everyone.
So I propose that we only merge packages into Cuis from the official
package repo or check with the package maintainers if this is not the case.
If there is a stable release, then that should be favored over regular
package file-outs.

@Mariano Montone <marianomontone at gmail.com> thanks for the changes you
submitted :)
As I mentioned before I really appreciate them, but while using it I felt
some of them didn't quite align with what I had in mind for Finder.
I think loosing the arrows keys and the ability to quickly edit the search
query in favor of tab switching is not very user friendly (when
tab/shift+tab already allowed tab navigation in the first place).
The same goes for the PasteUpMorph refactor: I was thinking of
experimenting with having more than one finder open to allow users to
reorganize windows and continue exploring without losing their search when
browsing a result.

The good news is that I anticipated that Finder could have more than one UI
because of this.
The model is completely separated from the UI and there is a setting that
controls how Finder is launched, allowing anyone to provide their own
implementation.
Please feel free to get in touch if you need Finder to include core changes
to support your experiments.

Cheers,
Nico PM

--