[Cuis-dev] StringRequestMorph>>request:orCancel:

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Sep 24 07:15:51 PDT 2020

Integrated and @ GitHub.

>  I'd also like to mention that I think we should improve our
> communication when removing a method or changing a message name. In
> this case the deleted method was request:onCancel: and the keyword
> onCancel: used before in StringRequestMorph was changed to orCancel:
> and that broke many things in some packages we use in CuisUniverstiy.
>  One way to minimize this type of errors is to send #deprecatedMethod
> before removing or renaming a message, leaving the original method
> sending this message and after a month or so, send an email to the
> list telling the methods that will be removed (that is, senders or
> #deprecatedMethod). I think that would help a bit.
>  If there are other ideas, please let's talk about them.

That would help. Something else we should be doing, is when we post a
change set for review, we'd specify (in the message body) the methods we
are asking to remove. That should give others the opportunity to start
the discussion earlier.

Additionally, something I do and I suggest everyone should do, is when
removing methods or classes, load all the packages in the Cuis-Smalltalk
GitHub organization, to look for senders or references. We'd also
include other packages that are well maintained but outside the
organization, like CuisUniversity. We'd add them to AllPackages.pck.st,
and also to pullAllRepos.sh, statusAllRepos.sh and clonePackageRepos.sh,
maybe using a subfolder for each repo and/or each owner.

Doing this would raise awareness of possible problems as early as
possible, without slowing down possible cleanup.