[Cuis-dev] Dan Ingalls "Design principles..."

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Sun Apr 18 11:13:50 PDT 2021

Hi Rafael,
 I'm not sure what you are looking for but:
1) If you are looking for the paper Design Principles behind Smalltalk,
here is a link:
https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/smalltalk.html
It was part of the byte magazine of August 81, you can find it too googling
2) He never wrote a book but chapters in some books like the green book
(Smalltalk 80, Bits of history words of advice)
3) He made a OCR program in Smalltalk while working at Xerox to scan and
translate a book written in sanskrit, something related to his father work.
The link to that is in his paper of HOPL IV about Smalltalk:
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3386335

 That's all I can think of based on your email... I hope it helps :-)

Hernan.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 1:16 PM Rafael Ignacio Matías Sniechowski via
Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Dear Cuisers
> Perhaps this is a little off-topic.
>
> But I need your help. Recently, I don't remember whether it was on
> Twitter, on a chat of some of the UK or California Smalltalk groups, some
> list...I read a comment, post, linking Dan's work with a book. I guess it
> was a book it was kind of popular at that time (I have the feeling the book
> was about biology but I'm not sure), it's all my memory can recall right
> now.....
>
> Anyone happens to read, recall or know this?
> Thanks in advance
>
> *Ignacio Sniechowski*

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer, Teacher & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson