[Cuis-dev] TrueType Fonts assignment

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Apr 28 08:39:16 PDT 2021

Hi Robert,

On 4/27/2021 4:31 PM, Robert Calco via Cuis-dev wrote:
> I'm a noob to Cuis, though I've been lurking awhile, and after
> watching recent demos about progress on SVG I got an instance working
> on my Windows machine using the 64 bit vm and Cuis5.0-4567.image. I
> tweaked preferences a bit and found I liked everything about the
> experience

Nice!

> *except* how TT fonts had the return and assignment arrows looking
> like blocks, as noted by Bernhard.
>
> I am unable to find the preferences you mention above, but figured out
> I could add them to the preferences list, however they did not change
> anything. So maybe I'm using the wrong image?

I guess you are looking for
         Preferences enable: #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment.
and
         Preferences enable:
#syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment.
(enable only one of them at a time)

#useLeftArrow and #useAlwaysLeftArrow seem useless to me. I think we'd
just remove them.

> Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if the left and up arrows were
> always dynamically inserted by default when I type ^ or :=, but not
> until all the supported fonts can render them properly. That would be
> my feedback. Until then the default should be ^ for returning a value,
> and := for assignment.

Today I pushed a commit to take the Unicode Arrow glyphs from DejaVu if
the selected font doesn't include them. Assignment and returns should
look well in any font.

Some clarifications:
- There are no specifically "supported fonts". You can use any TrueType
font you like. We include a few with Cuis for convenience. You can add
others. Different TrueType fonts will vary in the range of glyphs they
include.
- We always use Character 94 for return ( ^ in the keyboard). We just
display it as an up arrow when it is a return (but not when it is used a
a binary selector, or in a comment).
- You can use := or left arrow ( _ in the keyboard) for assignment. Your
choice. We display _ as a left arrow when it is used for assignment (but
not when it is used as part of a variable name or selector, or in a
comment).