[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Add convenience method to read JSON strings

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 06:33:55 PDT 2021

On 8/14/21 12:07 PM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Le 12/08/2021 à 12:15, Nicola Mingotti via Cuis-dev a écrit :
>> The client side is just JS. The server side is more interesting
>> because the data structures are complex. Here my guess is that
>> Smalltalk can
>> play a big role in complexity reduction. Up to now I guess yes, it
>> can work !!
>
> Smalltalk is incredibly good to manage a complex model. If you pay
> attention to write tests for the critical part of your model it will
> both help to ensure its consistency over time and code evolution, and
> serve as well as documenting your model.
>
> I once wrote a server side financial application for loans
> restructuring (never made public and not completely finished because
> of disagreement). It was astonishing how Smalltalk helped to manage
> the complexity.
>
> Hilaire

Let's talk about it when I will have succeded, to crow now I fear I will
get
bad luck after me ;)

But, up to now, I it is going fantastic, complexity reduction compared
to already
beautiful and powerful languages like Ruby ad Lisp, is astonishing. All
the Classes are under my eyes.
I name them carefully and in 1 mouse click I am where i want to be !

The impression is, it takes me more time thinking of proper Class names
and relations
than to write actual code.

. All data structures are inspectable ! Always. e.g-1. I can see the
history of web calls, i store them
so i can spot where things went wrong. .e.g-2. I can watch inside my
database anytime, it is
a child play, I don't need to memorize long queries and the less the
output scanning the ugly flat string.

. I can change the program as it runs. Particularly, i can change what
the server answers to
a particular call without shutting down the server. (to implement in the
next days,
I just got how to do it) [I could do that in ComminLisp, but it is a
while I don't use it]

. I plan to make the morph view of some structures, that will make
checking them also better.
That in the future. If I enter Morphic now i will fail the deadline.

I am very enthusiastic, let' restart working !

Financial application are great for computing. I also made one in the
past "bondinsider.it".
About bond portfolios. Unfortunately my associate who was in charge of
sales was really unfit. The application
was built and never sold. I learnt a lesson. Non working associates must
put a non trivial amount of money
in the company upfront so they are motivated to do their part of the
work when
their time comes.

BTW. I know a guy who works in JP Morgan. He told me "Kapital" was to be
abandoned.
A pity, it is one of the most popular sales pitch for Smalltalk. No idea
what they are changing it with.

I go

Bye
Nicola